It Is Never OK To Hurt another Human Being
I want to say right upfront that there is never an excuse for Domestic Violence or any shame in being in a relationship where you are a victim of Domestic Violence. You are not alone. The number of people exposed to Domestic Violence is as much as 30% worldwide and it needs to stop.
I’ll say more about that in a moment. Firstly I think it might be helpful to define what Domestic Violence is:
It is important to note that violence happens in many different forms within relationships. It can be perpetrated by a male or female partner however the vast majority of domestic violence is reported to be committed by men against women. Abuse happens to people from every age group, income and educational level and religious and cultural background.
You do not have to be physically hurt to be abused, nor is it ever too late to seek assistance. This means that Domestic Violence can be categorized into several forms.
Here is a list of the different types of Domestic Violence:
- Physical Abuse includes direct harm against a person, their child, pet or property and includes hitting, slapping, punching, choking, pushing, being thrown against a wall, being hit with objects or injured by weapons.
- Sexual Abuse is any type of forced or unwanted sexual behaviour between adults.
- Emotional or Psychological Abuse is similar to verbal abuse. It can leave a person feeling that the relationship problems are their fault. Someone who leaves their partner alone at home or caring for children while the partner goes off to have an affair or live their lives separately could be a victim of this kind of abuse.
- Verbal Abuse is the use of critical or insulting language or continual put-downs, threats or criticisms.
- Financial Abuse involves the unequal control of money in a relationship, by making a person dependent upon the perpetrator for money, taking a person’s money or threatening a person for money.
- Social Abuse is when the victim is denied contact with friends or family who may be able to offer support. Some victims are also made to account for everything they do and everywhere they go.
You Can Change the Situation If You Know Why Domestic Violence Occurs
Living in a domestically violent household is not easy. However for some leaving a domestically violent household can be even more difficult. So if you find yourself in such a situation go and seek help and if this cannot be with your partner at least take yourself. Sometimes you might be powerless to change your partner but you can change yourself.
And if you are the one who is responsible for Domestic Violence help is at hand. Take yourself to see a professional Counselor. They will not judge you. They really can help you.
So until next time – Relate with Love
Very interesting to read!
I would really appreciate it if you could take the time to look at my blog and comment on any thoughts or feelings you may have on various issues regarding domestic violence. It is part of my University degree and I get graded on the comments so I would really appreciate the support. Tomorrow is my hand in date so if you have the time to share your views I would love to hear them.
This is the link to my blog, thanks! https://menwomenandviolence.wordpress.com